Chirotechnics

Monday, September 13, 2004

Guns, guns, guns

Well, the assault weapons ban lifts tonight. Frankly, I'm glad. A friend of mine said to me, "I don't care what you say, you're not going to convince to me that anyone nowadays needs one!" Actually, it was rather easy to convince him. It was years of negative publicity from the "elites" of this society that brain washed him. I started off by telling him, "Okay, so it's now illegal to purchase an assault rifle right? So, anyone who wants to commit a crime is going to abide by that law right?" Assault rifles have been sold and bought in the black market regardless of these laws. You know who's not buying them? The citizen who will obey the law. The same citizen who will not use deadly force unless provoked. Have you ever tried to take on an assault rifle with a little handgun? Unless you're highly trained, you will lose.

I then reminded him of the LA riots after the Rodney King trial. I gave him a selection of firearms and gave him the pros and cons of each weapon. Guess what he chose to defend his family and property...that's right. He chose the assault rifle.

I'm not saying that such situations are ever going to happen to you or me. Chances are, they won't. I really and truly hope that they don't. However, let's just say that tomorrow happens to be that 0.0000001% chance. Wouldn't you want a fighting chance? What would you say to me on September 10, 2001 if I were to tell you that 19 hijackers were going to take over 4 passenger airlines and fly them into the World Trade Center killing thousands? You'd say I was nuts. That's the problem, people can't comprehend the possibility of such acts until it actually happens to them. The only problem is, by then, it's too late. Don't get me wrong. I don't think that everyone should be able to own a firearm (background checks), but if you prove yourself to be a law abiding citizen, you should have every right to dispatch any threats to your home or family with extreme prejudice. Just my thoughts until someone can change my mind using good facts or logic... not the fear tactic that today's media tries to pursue.