Chirotechnics

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Here's a Treet

I went to see a comedian once who described college kids as broke, hungry, and happy. At that moment I was reminded of one night in particular. My roommate and I were both hungry and we had no money to make a quick run to McDonalds or whatever. We didn't even have enough for a single taco at Taco Bell.

I remembered that when I first moved into the dorms, my mom gave me a couple cans of preserved mystery meat for emergencies. It wasn't Spam, it was Treet. That's right. It was an imitation of imitation meat.

We were so desparately hungry so we opened it, held it upside down, and watched as this cube of "meat" slowly slid out of the can and landed on the paper plate. We then cut slices out of this "meat". Needless to say, it didn't look too appetizing. We decided that we should probably get something to disguise the taste a little. We looked in our little refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of mustard and proceeded to completely cover our snack. Then came the moment of truth. We took out forks and took a bite.

You know that face you make when you catch the scent of something really nasty? Well, the sense of smell and taste are highly associated so we both had that same look on our faces.

Rather than taking another bite, we decided to let our stomachs eat themselves. Just before we threw the rest of it away, another one of our friends came into the room and said, "Hey, I'm soooo hungry. Do y'all have anything to eat?" Thinking that we'd play a good joke on him, we handed him the paper plate. The boy started chowing down on it as if it were a 12 oz. tenderloin. He kept saying just how good it was. You remember that face we made earlier? Yeah, we it showed again. Can you believe he asked for more? I guess he was just a tad bit more hungry than we were.