Chirotechnics

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Do I Stand Out?

I was at the community basketball court the other day and I noticed that there were a lot more Asian kids playing basketball than there used to be when I was growing up. I'm guessing Yao Ming has had quite an influence on the Asian community down here in Houston.

About 15 years ago, I played basketball for my high school. I was the only Asian in the entire district. Who knows, maybe the entire state.

One day, Coach told us to line up shoulder to shoulder.

"If you're white or hispanic, step forward."

Then, he started counting. A few of the other guys were wondering what the hell was going on. I told them that it looked like they were just taking a census and just to relax.

"If you're black, step forward."

Again, Coach started counting. Then, I realized. Holy shit, I'm the only one left. I wondered what category of race he was going to call out for me. Coach looked right at me and spoke.

"Jethro! (Everyone, including me, starts laughing) What are you?"

"Vietnamese."

One of my buddies stepped forward and said, "That's alright, man. You're not alone. I'm making you an honorary brotha."

Ahhhhh.....good times.