Chirotechnics

Monday, April 25, 2005

I'm Back

Sorry for my brief absence. That bug really did a number on me. Usually, when people reach such fever levels, their dreams are quite detailed and complex as they approach delirium. Great truths are revealed as you leave your physical body to commune with the spiritual world. For me, I saw a chicken and a monkey playing and singing "ring around the rosey" on top of my television set. I said to myself, "That can't be real," and went back to sleep.

It all started on Saturday when I woke up with a sore throat. Zelda then said, "Let's go camping at the beach!" Instead of my usual, "I don't feel like it. Now, bring me some soup, Wench!" I replied, "Okay." Mistake #1.

When the morning came around, my throat was burning. That plus, I was shivering. That's when I knew I was running a temperature. Zelda said that we would leave first thing in the morning when the girls woke up. I said that since we made the trip, we might as well stay a few hours and let the girls have some time on the beach. Mistake #2.

When we left the beach at noon, I remembered that a friend of mine was hosting a crawfish boil. Since I contributed to 200 lbs of crawfish, I was going to have my fair share. When I got home, I took my temperature. 103.5 degrees. I popped 3 Advils, and drove out to the Crawfish boil. Mistake #3.

The following week, I paid for it. Severely. Can't say it wasn't amusing to see the chicken and monkey playing though. That has to mean something.