Chirotechnics

Thursday, August 25, 2005

My first beer

When we first came to this country, my mother and her in-laws didn't get along. It didn't help that everyone lived under the same roof. Eventually, my family moved out on our own. My parents both worked long hours just to make ends meet.

My dad came home early one day and picked us up from a friend who would watch over my sisters and I while Mom and Dad worked. He popped open a beer, took a sip, and fell asleep on the couch while my sisters and I played. When dad woke up, he leaned over, picked up his beer, and noticed that it was empty. He shook it just to make sure. He remembered that he had only had a sip before falling asleep. Confused, Dad sat up, looked around, and noticed that I was passed out on the floor right next to the couch. I was only 2 years old. He told me that when he picked me up, I burped. He smelled where his beer had gone. I don't think he told my Mom about that one for a long time.