Chirotechnics

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

For you, Corin


My buddy Corin just got back from training in the field the other night. I called him up. He was already drinking. He found out about Charles the night of the wake. He couldn't make the funeral. The rules are very strict and are there for a reason. Now that he has some down time, it's hitting him pretty hard. What do you say to a soldier who lost one of our closest friends? He kept saying to me, "It should've been me! It should've been me! Not Charles!"



Corin got back from Afghanistan a couple of months ago. He is single handedly responsible for the capture of a major Taliban Mullah named Mullah Usman. Of course you won't hear shit about it in the news (except in the Chinese papers...google it. Let me know if you get anymore information than his own close friends. I'm not holding my breath). He's also assisted in the capture of another major Taliban Mullah (I don't remember his name). Again, you won't hear shit about that news.



We took him out last night to meet up again with some old friends. We toasted to our heroes: Charles, Corin, and the United States military. Today, we're taking him out for some dim sum. Then, he had a special request. He wants to visit Charles' grave to pay his last respects.


Corin will be deployed to Iraq in November. Keep him in your prayers.

*Update*

We just got back from the cemetary. Zelda had asked Corin if he wanted to get flowers. Corin said that Charles wouldn't want flowers. So, Corin brought a bottle of 18 year old Glenlivet with him. We stood there for awhile. Corin took one swig of scotch then handed me the bottle. I took one swig and handed it back. He then poured the rest of it out over Charles' grave.

Corin: "Now that I'm here, I don't really know what to say."

Me: "I don't know how to salute properly. You do."

With that, Corin and I went to the foot of the grave. Corin faced Charles and gave him a military salute. As we were walking away, we talked.

Me: "I wish I could do that."

Corin: "It's not difficult."

Me: "I won't do it."

Corin: "I wouldn't have minded if you did, but I really appreciate it that you understand that it's personal to the military."

There you have it folks. I am so blessed to have been surrounded in the past with courageous friends as Corin and Charles.