Chirotechnics

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Exorcist

When I was about 5, I saw "The Exorcist." That movie messed me up for years. My parents never stopped me from watching horror or violent movies. What they were very strict about was sex. Nudity and sexual situations were a no no . However, violence and horror was no big deal. In all honesty, I have to agree with them. Chances of me committing some violent act from watching a movie is slim. Chances of me going on a shooting rampage from playing video games is also slim. I can't stand it when people blame acts of violence on things such as movies and video games. However, sex is a different case. We are all bound by hormones. We're all going to want to do it. For that reason, I can understand why my parents rules.

As far as violence and horror movies go, I guess my parents saw enough bad things during the war. The reality of what they lived through far overshadows what Hollywood could throw at people. Still, that doesn't stop the fact that "The Exorcist" messed me up.

Do ya'll remember a few years ago when they re-released the movie with extra scenes? I remember one of my co-workers, Steve, saying, "Let's all go see it!" I remembered a buddy of mine, Frank, and I both said, "HELL NO!" Of course the conversation continued,

S: "What's the matter, you chicken?"

J: "Let me put it this way, that movie fucked me up when I was little. Frank, how old are you?"

F: "27"

J: "Right. So you saw it about the same time I did...around 5 years old?"

F: "Yep."

J: "Steve, you go and have fun watching it by yourself."

S: "Man, I can't believe you both won't go see it."

I'm not sure why I won't see that movie anymore. I don't really care for scary movies, but they don't bother me anymore. I guess it's just the memory of the whole situation. Hell, I refuse to purchase any kind of a toy Godzilla. You can read about that story here. The memory can be a powerful tool.