Chirotechnics

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

An Experiment

Okay, I know that I look young for my age. I know I'll start to appreciate it as I get older, but it can be annoying sometimes. I was in line to purchase a movie ticket when I was 25 years old. The guy behind the ticket counter asked me for some ID. I thought to myself, that maybe he was trying to give me a student discount. So, I broke out my old college ID. Then he said, "No. I mean your driver's license." I thought to myself why the hell would he ask me for my driver's license. Then it hit me, I was being carded for a Rated R movie. I've also been carded for lottery tickets and of course alcohol. It never fails. I could've been into a liquor store a hundred times where the people there should recognize my face. Still, I get the same old "Can I see your driver's license please?"

I don't make a big fuss about it. I can't blame these people who ask for my ID. Hell, I would ID myself too. What's been a little annoying lately is that I've had a feeling that patients in the clinic don't treat me like the way they would treat any other doctor. Zelda and I were talking about it the other night. We talked about how maybe it's because I look like I'm 18. People may feel weird about having someone look so young give them advice. So, we decided to try an experiment.

Some of you remember that I used to work in an optical. Even though I don't need glasses, I had a pair with virtually no prescription in it. It's so slight that you couldn't tell the difference with or without the lenses in them. I've been wearing these glasses for about a week now. All of the interns notice it. I've been told that it actually makes me look older. Since then, maybe it's just my imagination, but patients have been making their appointments on time, adhering to their treatment plan, and basically do what I tell them to and getting better.

So, what do y'all think? How would you feel if Doogie Howser was giving you medical advice? Be honest.