Chirotechnics

Thursday, October 06, 2005

How much is gas?

The first day when the damage assessment was done in New Orleans after Katrina hit, there was a rumor that gas prices would sky rocket up to or past $3.00/gallon. As I drove home from the clinic, I made sure to look at the prices at every single gas station to see if I could save an extra penny. Every gas station that day was around $2.89.

As I took an alternate route to get home, I found one Diamond Shamrock where the price was $2.68. Knowing that prices were going to escalate, I pulled in and filled up my car. When I finished, I drove home, took the keys to Zelda's car and grabbed my 5 gallon emergency gas container.

I drove back to the Diamond Shamrock where I saw that the price of Regular Unleaded was still $2.68/gal. I pulled into the first available pump, got out, reached into my wallet, and pulled out my credit card. Just as I was about to slide my credit card into the reader, the entire pump blinked. The price of regular unleaded gas switched before my very eyes from $2.68 to $2.77. I couldn't believe it! I missed it by 2 or 3 seconds.